By Dewey-Kimball Times Staff Members:
Hilary Adams, Rosie Laflam,
and Abby Comstock-Gay
January 2000 Dewey Kimball Times
School was originally built on the corner of Short and North Spring Streets.
It was built in 1890, at the cost of $60,000. At that time, the building was for grades one
through nine. The original building had eight classrooms. It had very big halls which were
used for plays and, on the last day of school, there would be a talent show. The inside of
the building would always be dark because there was dark wood paneling. In 1959,
Kimball was judged that it wasn't a good building so it was torn down.
The current Kimball
School building was built in 1905, as a high school, costing $90,000.
It became a middle school in 1927. When Rundlett was built it became an elementary school.
When the new school opened in 1957, it had grades K through 6. The building was brighter,
bigger, and safer. The playground was also bigger. The school had 13 classrooms, but there
was no library and the third floor wasn't finished so the plays and assemblies were done in
the cafeteria. The library was established in 1968, in the basement. Later it was moved to the
second floor. In 1997, the sixth grade was moved to Rundlett. Kimball School is a proud school.
and Abby Comstock-Gay
Kimball School was named after John Kimball.
He lived for 92 years, being born in 1821
and dying in 1913. His main job was banking. He came from a family who were builders.
He was good at building, and he had the advantage of a good education. John Kimball was in
public service for fifty years. He served as a marshall, collector of taxes, and mayor of Concord.
He also served in the House of Representatives and Senate helping to found the New Hampshire
Republican Party. While serving as mayor of Concord, he was responsible for many large city
improvements. The improvements were completing the Long Pond Water System, building one
wooden bridge and two iron bridges, and building new buildings and apparatus for the
Fire Department. John Kimball also was involved in many charitable organizations including the NH
Orphans Home, the Centennial Home, and the NH Odd Fellows Home. In 1890, a new school
was built, and they named the school after him.